Sunday, February 24, 2008

Operation Snap Out of It
What a difference muscle relaxants and sleep make. It may only be a slight difference, but today I actually felt a familiar - and missed - sense of optimism and energy. I woke up today, ran through the routine of checking for tension, and couldn't find it. For the first time in a long time I didn't wake up in a clinch. This week I managed to have several mostly good nights of sleep (which have included some very strange dreams) thanks to the muscle relaxant my doctor prescribed.

The physical therapists are noting progress and I can feel it. I have nine more visits and between now and the last one, I'm launching Operation Snap Out of It. I'm returning to a healthier diet and my quest to lose fifteen more pounds. I'm revisiting my account at The Daily Plate (keb1717 is my id for anyone who'd like to link up) which is a great way to track calorie intake. I'm also re-starting yoga - that is I will when I can figure out how to get my thrity year old Sony upstairs. I have a couple of good yoga tapes and the upstairs loft will make a good spot for Tranquility Base.

I've bought a blood-pressure device. I was very alarmed on my last visit to the doctor when my blood pressure read out at 154/91 - danger Will Robinson. My doctor suggested doing a daily monitoring of the BP for a month and, because I couldn't seem to get my ass to her office every day, I opted for purchasing a device. Of course I went high tech with one I can plug into the computer and download the data. Today's reading was a much better 124/82.

I'm understanding a bit more the why-fors and the where-fors of my misery. Eventually I may write about it in more detail - more for myself than for anyone else. Part of the process has involved a gradual shedding of my "other self" (no - I'm not Sybil... not multiple personalities that I'm aware of), or rather my other internet self. That self has not done much to enhance my life of late and I think I've been experiencing a sort of reluctant mourning over letting it go.

I'm very grateful for the few of my internet pals who come by this little corner of the interwebs from time to time and for those of you who have given me encouragement and support. I don't make friends easily, but I treasure the few I have, near and far. Thanks for sticking around!

And now - I have a salad in the fridge and some V8 fusion to guzzle. 'Til next time....
Posted at 7:00 PM | |