Sunday, May 6, 2007

*blush* humbled *blush*
Imagine my surprise when I tuned in to one of my favorite bloggers to find this little blog listed as one of these:

I rarely think that what I have to say is of interest to anyone else but me - it's always a pleasant surprise when someone leaves a comment or I see someone's added the blog to their feed list. So, for someone to actually point to this thing and say "It's worth reading" is huge.

My bloglines feeds recently underwent major reduction surgery. Most of the blogs were centered on the hobby which will remain unmentioned here. That's not to say they were unworthy - I was once at the stage many of those bloggers are in relation to that hobby and so I understand what it is they are experiencing and the need to write about it.

They were excised mainly because I was over-saturated with that content. It'd even reached a level that was also making it difficult for me to write on that topic for a site which pays me to do so. I needed to take a break - even from my own hobby-centered blog - and just concentrate on producing content for the paid gig.

My attention turned to this blog because I wanted to expand my horizon, so to speak, break away from a topic centered blog and write about, well, me, me, me, my thoughts, experiences, et al. A pure narcissistic adventure - that's what blogs are, no?

I also turned my attention to reading blogs that were not topic-centric to the hobby that will not be mentioned here. After my subscriptions were reduced I went in search of blogs which give me pause and make me think. Who knew someone was out there doing the same and who created that little award for it!

My collection is rather sparse at the moment, but I will share with you five of the ones which warrant an immediate click in my feed list and for which I eagerly await new posts. These are not in any particular order - they bear equal weight of importance in my blogoshpere. A couple will be familiar if you've come here from there.

Rapid Eye Reality has been a long time favorite. I'd been reading Otis over at the hobby-centric blog he writes with two other stellar writers, when I discovered RER through a link there. I felt like I'd discovered my own secret pot of gold. Otis is nakedly honest - giving the reader the full monty, so to speak, in regards to his life, loves, frustrations, self-doubt, triumphs, defeats - the whole fruit bowl. And we get a bonus with illustrations crafted from the view through his camera lens. He's not only an immensely talented and gifted writer, but a gifted photographer as well. He says he doesn't easily make new friends, but what I've learned from reading him, if he opens the door to friendship and invites you in, you'll no doubt have a friend for life who'd walk barefoot over broken glass for you at the drop of a hat.

And is it any wonder that the next blog I'm going to tell you about is written by his wife? It's not because she pointed the way here, either. OK - here it is. I'm in love with those two. There. I said it, it's out in the open... ha! Because I'm a dunce, I only recently discovered In Search of Walden. I read the entire archives in one sitting. We come from different backgrounds, are twenty-plus years apart in age, she's married with child, I'm single with cats, and yet there is an odd kinship there. Student of Life, as she has dubbed herself, also writes honestly and without self censorship, giving us an account of her daily trials and joys with raising a child, coping with separation from her husband when he's away on assignment, reflecting on past pain from an absent parent, pondering her raison d'etre, well, just everything.

Both of them have inspired and challenged me to put forth my most honest and best effort with this blog - so if I succeed, they are to blame!

The third blog I will mention is Waiter Rant. It's become hugely popular - I believe the author is writing a book based on the blog and is due to be published soon. His essays are seeded by his work as a waiter in New York City upscale bistros and blossom with insight and understanding everyone can identify with. He pulls back the curtain of the restaurant world, letting us in on the politics and culture as well as holding up the mirror to us as customers. You'll never look at that person who's serving you quite the same after reading him and I bet you'll be more appreciative. At the very least, he'll give you a tasty morsel or two to chew on.

The next blog makes me think by reminding me to stop from time to time and take in my surroundings. Chiaroscuro is a photo blog created by a very talented photographer who doesn't post very often, but when she does, it's awesome. One of my secret ambitions is/was to be a photographer. She reminds me to hang on to that dream.

For the fifth choice, I give you Random Thoughts and Thoroughbred Selections. Written by Boy Genius, this blog spans a broken marriage, politics, epicurean delights, horse-racing, sports, dating, and much more - all at a level of intelligence and erudition that is often scary but always delectable.

I'm proud to say I've met the first two writers and the last one in person. The first two invited me to their home for a raucous and wonderful birthday celebration nearly two years ago, I've also sat across from Otis a time or two while indulging in the hobby that will not be named here, and I've gotten to know Boy Genius over a few gatherings in at least three different states.

So - those are my Thinking Blogger awards. If any of the authors find their way to this post, then here's what you may do if you wish to pass on the meme:

The participation rules are simple:
  • If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think,
  • Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,
  • Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post that you wrote (here is an alternative silver version if gold doesn't fit your blog).

Labels: , ,

Posted at 8:45 PM | |