Sunday, May 11, 2008

How to Enjoy Being a Lazy Ass
Yesterday, Saturday, I took an intentional holiday from responsibility. I say intentional only to delineate from the weekend days in the last few months I've slothed due to health - mental and physical.

No, yesterday I made the conscious decision to let the bills go unpaid, the laundry unwashed, the cat-box ungroomed, the dishes remain in the sink and curled up with a book. It just felt like the thing to do.

At brunch I brought up that I'd finally seen The Golden Compass (Netflix). I was the last of my group to see it. All of us agreed the movie left us wanting. I felt it moved at such a pace, it left no time for any depth. It was a long chase scene with a lot of CGI animation.

Those who'd read the books said "Read the books." So, after brunch, I went straight to Border's and bought the books. I bought two other books as well. It's been a while since I've read a book - largely due to an inability to concentrate which I'm blaming on the Tramadol. Now off that crap, my voracious appetite for literature has returned.

Here is what's now populating my night stand (which isn't a night stand, it's a desk, but - well, you get the idea):

1776 by David McCullough

Children of Hurin - Tolkien

Gentlemen of the Road - Michael Chabon

The Shape Shifter - Tony Hillerman

His Dark Materials Trilogy - Phillip Pullman

What Every Body is Saying - Joe Navarro

That last book is what took me from my responsibilities. I'm fascinated with the subject due to the hobby that will not be named here and it's a quick read. Today, while at Panera (which, by the way, has become a wifi nazi by now limiting access to thirty minutes and banning access during weekday lunch rush....) I started McCullough's 1776.

This coming weekend I trek off to Philadelphia for a chance to be a tourist and visit the historic sites where our founding fathers tread. I intend to have that book read by then in the hopes to enhance the trip with the relavancy of McCullough's literary depiction. In fact, I'm just about to throw today to the winds and get some more reading done. I have paid one major bill (the credit card) and the cat-box is clean and fresh...

... yup, sounds like a good idea. I'll see you fine folk later!

Labels:

Posted at 3:40 PM | |